$78,842.40 - $106,051.40 Annually
KCC - King County Council
Office of Indep Oversight
6/9/2023 11:59 PM PacificFLSA
Z2 : Council GuidelinesSummary
Calling all community gatherers and relationship builders! We want and need your passion for engaging the community and amplifying their voice. The Office of Law Enforcement Oversight (OLEO) is looking for a community connecter that has a heart to see their community voices be recognized.
As the Community Engagement Specialist, you will coordinate community engagement activities, partnership contracts, collaboration with culturally diverse King County audiences, and communication of complex and often emotional topics. You will also collaborate with staff to ensure community engagement is integrated across all OLEO programs. We are excited and interested in candidates who will bring diversified skillsets to the team and facilitate with an equity and social justice mindset.
OLEO is dedicated to improving the lives of King County residents through its independent oversight of the King County Sheriff's Office . We aim to further policing standards that are driven by community and rooted in equity through objective reviews, independent investigations, and evidence-based policy recommendations .
OLEO is committed to upholding and promoting equal opportunity in employment and values lived experiences. We encourage people of all backgrounds, cultures, and religions to apply, including veterans, people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities . We believe a diverse workforce is a strong workforce . Job Duties
Applying equity and social justice principles is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all King County employees. In this role, you will apply equity and social justice principles that exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices to all aspects of the work. Successful candidates for this position will be able to clearly demonstrate skill and ability to:
- Support OLEO's community engagement strategy by planning and implementation of community engagement activities, events, contracts, timelines, logistics, and having presence throughout the county.
- Research and establish best practices for government and community formal partnerships.
- Develop and implement partnerships with community-based organizations that serve the diverse communities of King County, specifically those disproportionately negatively impacted by law enforcement policies and practices.
- Maintain and update OLEO's communication materials, including community advisories and releases, webpage, social media for content, branding, accessibility, and translation as necessary.
A complete job description of the Community Engagement Specialist position can be found here: OLEO-Community-Engagement-Specialist-4-4-2023.ashx (kingcounty.gov) Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
The ideal candidate will have three (3) years of education and or experience in communications, community engagement, community relations, equity and social justice, facilitation, political science, urban planning, public administration, public relations, sociology, social work, or related field.
- Experience in web content management preferred, but not required.
- Experience and/or strong interest in drafting creative and engaging or educational or informational materials for the public preferred, but not required.
- Fluency in one of King County's top languages other than English desired, but not required.
People in these backgrounds might consider applying: community organizing, customer service, education, social work, non-profit, project management, communications.
You are invited to translate lived experiences the requirements of this position.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate:
- Experience in supporting and participating in inclusive engagement planning processes that bring together racially, culturally, and economically diverse constituencies towards common goals.
- Knowledge of King County community issues, past and current public safety and law enforcement oversight topics, and/or relationships with community leaders.
- Ability to work collaboratively with community organizations, stakeholders, and staff.
- Strong facilitation and communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate in writing and orally.
- Implementation of project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects, activities, or contracts with overlapping timelines.
- Creation of creative and engaging educational or informational materials for the public.
Candidates may satisfy requirements through a combination of education, job, lived experiences, and transferable skills . Non-traditional career paths will be considered and are encouraged to apply. Supplemental Information
Together with leadership and our employees, we are changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work, and play. ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is open to all qualified applicants. Acceptable proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States are required by federal immigration law.
This position is a salaried, at-will, overtime-exempt classification that is not eligible for the county Career Service system. The standard workweek is 35 hours. Non-traditional work hours and travel throughout King County may occasionally be required.
Full benefits are available, some of which include the Washington State Public Employees' Retirement System; county health insurance, dental, and vision plans; parental leave; local transit pass and other local alternative transportation incentives; and deferred compensation plan. To see all benefits, visit Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement at
This position requires a mandatory criminal background check, which includes fingerprinting. APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
Interested individuals should submit a complete online King County application. Online applications are preferred; however, if you are unable to apply online, visit www.kingcounty.gov/jobs for other options. Failure to submit all required forms and materials may limit further consideration.
To apply, you must submit:
1. A completed job application
2. A resume and cover letter ( Cover letter entered in supplemental question 1)
3. Supplemental questions
Applications materials will be screened for writing accuracy, clarity, completeness, and competitiveness Applicants who pass the screening section will be asked to interview. NOTE: If selected to move forward to the interview, you will be required to complete an online reference check.
Our tentative plan for interviews will be during the week of July 3, 2023.
The work associated with this position will be performed predominantly in a hybrid work environment, working in the office and at home. Employees must reside in Washington State and within a reasonable distance of their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements. King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation.
Please contact Arlecier West, Sr. HR Business Partner at email@example.com if you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process, or if you would like to have a confidential discussion about this opportunity. JOB CODE: 007148 Community Engagement Specialist
This position is not represented by a union.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 12paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page .
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.NOTE:
Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.