$22.82 - $28.92 Hourly Location
Seattle, WAJob Type
Career Service, Hours VaryDepartment
DPH - Public HealthJob Number
Jail Health ServicesClosing
3/26/2023 11:59 PM Pacific Summary
Jail Health Services, a division of Public Health Seattle & King County, is recruiting for multiple Certified Nursing Assistants to work at King County Correctional Facility (KCCF) located in Downtown Seattle. This is an exciting opportunity to participate on a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment offering healthcare services to a socially vulnerable population.
The Certified Nursing Assistant is a single level classification. Incumbents perform work responsibilities under the direction of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse. The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) classification is distinguished from the Nursing and Medical Assistant classification series in that the CNA classification does not require a nursing license or Medical Assistant certification/registration.
Public Health- Seattle & King County values diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans . Commitment to Equity and Social Justice
Named after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nation's history, King County is a vibrant international community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the traditions of many cultures.
The county government has a deep commitment to equity and social justice and advancing practices, strategies, and policies that promote fairness, justice, and opportunity for all - in our workplaces and our communities. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda to advance regional change and ensure that residents from all communities are incorporated into our emergency planning and public outreach efforts.
We recognize that structural racism consists of principles and practices that cause and justify an inequitable distribution of rights, opportunities, and experiences across racial groups. Since declaring Racism is a Public Health Crisis in June 2020, King County and Public Health committed to being intentionally anti-racist and accountable to Black, Indigenous and People of Color communities.
To learn more, please visit http://www.kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/equity-social-justice.aspx Job Duties Job Duties:
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
- Assist healthcare personal with medication administration, observation, and preparation.
- Provide functional assistance to patients including bathing, dressing, and eating, lifting or repositioning patients into bed, wheelchairs, etc.
- Assist in patient flow of clinic, including vital signs and scheduling.
- Collect and record vital signs, including temperature, heart rate, respirations, blood pressure, and pulse oximetry.
- Respond to inquiries by phone and in person; monitor and identify patients' needs and refer to health care professionals, when necessary.
- Evaluate intake data for health risk factors and program eligibility, using established protocols.
- Interview patients for medical, dietary, and social history.
- Clean, stock, and setup patient rooms or other care settings, including laundry services and equipment.
- Assist healthcare personnel with laboratory specimen processing and transport.
- Assist with blood glucose testing.
- Order, inventory, and maintain clinical laboratory and general supplies.
- Enter data into electronic health records and other databases.
- Transport medications and other supplies to and from work site.
- Observe and guide patient self-collected nasal swabs for COVID-19 tests; process specimens for rapid tests (as needed at KCCF Downtown site).
- Read COVID-19 rapid test results, record on patient line list, and enter results in the electronic health record (as needed at KCCF Downtown site).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of asepsis and universal precautions
- Knowledge of donning and doffing personal protective equipment
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety procedures
- Knowledge of basic nutrition theory and practice
- Knowledge of behaviors and practices to achieve and maintain good health.
- Knowledge of state and federal guidelines for laboratories, biohazards, and laboratory specimen handling
- Knowledge of state and federal laws that govern protected health information.
- Knowledge of health and social services and resources
- Ability to communicate (both oral and written) effectively and professionally in diverse settings and environments.
- Skill in interviewing techniques
- Skill in dealing effectively with the public, detecting potential problems, and preventing escalation.
- Skill in meeting deadlines, working under time constraints, and exercising sound judgment.
- Ability to effectively engage in and sustain relationships with people from diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated proficiency with business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite.
- Washington State Certified Nursing Assistant certification
- Documentation of current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification with AED training required at time of hire. CPR/AED Heartsaver courses do not meet this requirement.
- Washington State Driver's License or the ability to provide transportation to work locations with limited or no public transportation (some positions)
- Experience working with high-risk populations or locked facilities.
- Experience with Epic electronic health record system
These positions will primarily support King County Correctional Facility (KCCF) in Downtown Seattle. May work outside of location and/or hours to meet operational needs. Work Schedule:
These positions will primarily support evening shifts from 10pm-6am and will include working weekend shifts. Supplemental InformationForbes named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North" , we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles - we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.To Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 12paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page .
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.NOTE:
Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.