$36.67 - $44.33 Hourly Location
Maple Valley, WAJob Type
Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/weekDepartment
DNRP-Natural Resources & ParksJob Number
SWD -Solid WasteClosing
Continuous Summary The Operations Section of King County's Solid Waste Division is inviting applications for six (6) Heavy Duty Mechanics I (HD Mechanic I). If you are an HD Mechanic with experience and knowledge in diagnosing and repairing vehicles and various types of equipment, this is your dream job!Here's Why....Awesome Benefits:
Besides competitive wages, County offers benefits that are unmatched by most private employers. This includes:
• Free health insurance for you and your dependents (An approximate value of $4968.00 per year compared to a private health plan)
• A pension plan with approximately 10% employer contribution
• A Deferred Compensation plan with a low participation fee
• 13 days of paid holidays, 14 vacation days, and 12 days of sick leave per year (vacation and sick leave will increase with seniority).
• Inexpensive Long-term and Short-term Disability coverage and Term-life insurance
• Employee discounts for services such as gym membership and cell phone plans and more....Competitive Wages:
• A starting wage of $36.67/hour (Step 2 of range 51) with a top rate of $44.33/hour (step 10). You can reach the top step within 4 years or sooner.
• You will start at $40.32/hour (Step 6) and advance to $44.33/hour after completing probation (Step 10) if: (1)
you successfully completed State Apprenticeship program in the craft hired, or a State recognized Certificate of Completion in Automotive Mechanics Technology and three (3) years of documented experience in the field, or (2)
holds a Master ASE Certification and five (5) years documented experience in the field.
• ASE Certification premium of up to $2.53/hour.
• Service Truck premium of 5% (added to your base rate).
• Shift premiums that begin at 10% (added to your base rate).Work-life Balance:
If you are looking for a job that values your life outside work, this is your position. While you may get opportunities to work overtime and earn more wages, the working conditions for this union-represented job allow you to prioritize your life after work.Development Opportunities:
Solid Waste Division believes in developing its employees. You will have plenty of opportunities for career advancement based on your skills and interests.Serving the Community:
Working for King County and the Solid Waste Division is more than a paycheck - you will be an integral part of a mission-oriented organization focusing on environmental collaboration and innovation to make the lives of our citizens better.Examples of Job Duties:
• Diagnose and repair all types of gas, diesel and hybrid-powered equipment, including, but not limited to, automobiles, heavy/light trucks, tractors, backhoes, street sweepers, loaders and trailers.
• Troubleshoot, diagnose, repair and replace ignition systems, fuel systems, lighting systems, electrical/computer control systems, radio systems and ABS brake systems.
• Repair transmissions, manual and power-shift, differentials, PTO's and axle assemblies.
• Operate mechanical and electronic testing equipment to troubleshoot and repair systems.
• Maintain and document service, maintenance and repair records and work orders
• Repair and maintain shop tools and machinery.
• Provide technical assistance, repairs and problems on work orders and advice on complex or unusual projects.
• Read and interpret equipment repair manuals, electric and hydraulic schematics and illustrated parts diagrams.
• Modify stock equipment to meet County needs as directed.
• Use a Windows-based computer program for tracking all work performed and retrieving information about work to be performed.
• Other duties as assigned.Opportunity to Learn More:
We invite you to join an MS Teams Meeting Open House to learn more about this position. This is an opportunity to ask questions about the job description, learn about the Solid Waste Division and the Operations section, meet staff and a supervisor, and generally gain information about the position. We will hold this event on Thursday, February 24, 2022 from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Click here to join the meeting For audio-only call +1 425-653-6586, Pin: 276860813#. Required Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:Knowledge of:
• Industrial and heavy equipment shop safety rules, procedures, and equipment.
• Technical terms used in light and heavy equipment repairs.
• The MS Windows environment and to operate and perform research on a computerSkilled in:
• Working on industrial and heavy-duty equipment, hydraulic, powertrain, diesel and gasoline fuel, accessory, and cooling systems.
• The use of electrical, electronic, hydraulic, and mechanical test equipment and devices.
• Troubleshooting and repairing gas, diesel, and hybrid engines and transmissions, hydraulic and electrical systems, pneumatic systems, chassis and powertrain systems, and engine management systems.
• Using maintenance repair and parts manuals (online and paper) to assist in maintenance repair.
• The use and care of hand and power tools
• Problem-solving and Prioritization skills
• Working with a team, valuing the diversity and differences of individualsAbility to:
• Safely operate vehicles and equipment with onboard systems to test and troubleshoot for proper operation of integral or installed systems before and after maintenance.
• Work in a team environment and independently.The Most Competitive Candidate Will Also Possess:
• Journey status in heavy-duty construction equipment, diesel and medium fleet automotive repair and maintenance OR,
Two (2) years of experience in heavy-duty construction equipment and medium fleet and automotive repair and maintenance with participation in a two (2) year Vocational, Military or Community College diesel or automotive mechanics program or recognized apprenticeship.
• Automotive Services Excellence (ASE) Master Certification desired.
• Experience on the repair & maintenance of construction equipment (i.e. track vehicles, dozers, front-end loaders, backhoes, track hoe, etc.)Necessary Special Requirements:
• Possession of a valid Washington State Driver's License.
• Possession of either a valid Washington State Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with current Medical Card upon hire or the ability to obtain such License within six (6) months of employment.
• If hired, you must bring your own tool kit consisting of standard and metric, open-end and socket wrenches. Open-end wrenches must be standard size 1/4" through 1-1/4", metric size 6 mm through 22 mm. Socket sets 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive, standard size 1/4" through 1-1/4", metric size 6 mm through 22 mm. Various pliers, screwdrivers and other hand tools required to perform the essential function of the job must be part of the kit.
• Must possess First Aid and CPR certification or should obtain it within six (6) months after the start of employment. (Is this required?)
• Successful candidates will be required to complete a reference check, pass a physical examination and undergo drug testing prior to employment. This position is defined as safety-sensitive and once employed, an employee may be required to undergo drug testing as needed. Working Conditions:Union Membership:
Positions in this classification will be represented by Joint Crafts Council, International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers District No. 160, Local No. 289.Work Schedule:
These positions work a 40-hour workweek and is overtime eligible with Supervisor approval. These positions may be required to work alternative work schedules (including holidays and overtime, evenings and weekends) to support core service hours. Work schedules are bid by seniority following the union collective bargaining agreement. Work schedules are as follows: Day shifts: 5/8 Mon - Fri 6am - 2:30pm, 4/10 Sun - Wed and Wed - Sat 6am-4:30pm; Night shifts: 5/8 Mon - Fri 2:30pm - 11pm.Work Location:
Cedar Hills Regional Landfill,16645 228th Avenue SE, Maple Valley, WAPhysical Environment:
This job may require you to work during inclement weather in the field.Application Instructions:
• All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
• Applicants must submit an (1)
On-Line Application including the Supplemental Questions, (2)
Copies of applicable Certifications and/or Special Licenses.
• If you have questions related to this recruitment process, please contact Jemima McMahon by phone (206) 477-4002 or email at email@example.com. Supplemental InformationForbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers. Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our " True North
", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation. To Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 12paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page .
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.NOTE:
Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.