$26.57 - $37.96 Hourly Location
Multiple locations in King County, WAJob Type
Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/weekDepartment
MTD - Metro TransitJob Number
3/29/2023 11:59 PM Pacific Summary ***FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY*** Part- time to Full-time Transit Operators (Bus Drivers)
Metro Transit Department is now accepting applications for the position of Transit Operator (Full-Time Bus Driver). This job is open to current internal Metro Part-Time Transit Operators.
Metro is committed to the principles of equity and social justice. We value diverse perspectives and life experiences in our workforce and are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment; we believe a diverse workforce is a strong workforce.
At Metro we care about and value each other. Not only is our internal community important, but our Transit Operators are an integral part of empowering the communities we live in. We're not just a transit provider; we make it possible for our communities to connect - to work, to school, to life!About the position:
Transit Operators provide outstanding customer service while safely moving passengers via assigned routes ensuring safe, secure, comfortable, efficient, and courteous transportation service in adherence to published service schedules. Work involves providing route and passenger information, and actively promoting positive customer relations; reporting equipment problems and safety issues and complying with all traffic laws and regulations. Work requires compliance with all applicable federally mandated safety-sensitive requirements.
This position is considered safety sensitive. Transit Operators are subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return-to-duty and follow-up drug and alcohol testing incompliance with Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) alcohol and controlled substances testing program protocols.Application Process, Forms and Materials:
An online application must be completed in order to be considered for this position. No resumes orcover letters will be referred to during application review. To apply online, go to www.kingcounty.gov/jobs and find the Transit Operator (Full -Time Bus Driver) job
announcement, click the "Apply" link on the Job Announcement Page. If you do not currently have an account with GovernmentJobs.com, you will be prompted to create one. Please write down your log-in information for future reference.
Your application must include all demographic information, including the email address you want us communicating with you through. You are also required to answer all supplemental questions, which include providing your badge and PeopleSoft numbers.Work Schedule:
This career service full-time position is overtime eligible. Full-time Transit Operator weekly work assignments are based on either an eight hour/five-day schedule or a ten hour/ four-day schedule, with a guarantee of eight or ten straight-time hours, respectively. All transit operators must be available for day work, night work, weekend work, holiday work and split shifts.Who to contact:
For assistance with the online application process, please contact -
NeoGov Customer Support toll free at 877.204.4442
For questions about this recruitment process, please contact -
Senior Human Resource Analyst
*DriveforMetro@Kingcounty.gov *Please add "PTO to FTO" in the Subject Line of your email Job Duties
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Provide safe, professional, and courteous on-time bus service for customers in King County
- Follow all traffic laws and regulations
- Communicate effectively with all customers regarding fares, routes, schedules, and transfer points
- Effectively operate transit vehicles and equipment, including wheelchair lifts and the securing of personal mobility devices
- Successfully communicate with Transit Control Center or LINK Control Center via radio
- Accurately complete verbal and written reports
- Current Part-Time Transit Operator of King County Metro Transit
- A valid Class A or B Commercial Driver License with Air Brake and Passenger endorsements
- Any of the following violations in the last five years will automatically disqualify candidates under consideration:
- Reckless or negligent driving
- Driving Under the Influence or Driving While Intoxicated
- Hit and Run accident citation
- Vehicular homicide or vehicular assault
- Open container citation
- More than one at-fault accident
- Any one suspension for a moving violation
- Two or more suspensions for non-moving violations
Applicants meeting qualifications will be screened based upon the clarity and completeness of their application information. No application attachments will be looked at during the application review process, so you do not need to attach a resume or cover letter.Selection Process Information:
Part-time Transit Operators will be placed on a class list for Full-Time Transit Operator Training in order of seniority, as set by ATU 587. All final offers are contingent upon Operators maintaining their safety sensitive status.
Successful candidates will be required to pass paid training before starting work as a Full-Time Transit Operator, during which they will be compensated at their current rate of pay.
Applicants who are unable to apply online should follow the instructions under Application Tips and FAQs at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs
If you need accommodation in the recruitment process or an alternate format of this job announcement, please inquire directly with the Human Resources contact for this job announcement.Union Membership
This position is represented by Amalgamated Transit Union Local 587.Class Code:
King County Metro Transit is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and values diverse perspectives, life experiences, and differences. King County Metro encourages people of all backgrounds, to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people of all ages, and veterans. We are committed to being equitable and fair in providing equal access to opportunities for all.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 12paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page .
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.NOTE:
Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.