The Montana Standard, the daily newspaper in Butte, MT - the nation's largest single historic district - is seeking a visual journalist who is committed to covering a region with a rich history that's ripe for daily and enterprise news. Our new hire also will collaborate on a daily basis with a team of six in-house reporters and editors. They will also be expected to work with a staff at five papers across Montana, including the statewide 406mtsports.com website when shooting sports assignments.
We're looking for someone who can unearth nuggets of compelling content for both a loyal print readership and an increasingly savvy digital audience in a hearty former mining city with a robust history and colorful personality.
Essential functions include:
- Produce photographs and video that meet quality standards, including technical quality, color correction, visual interest, news value, story-telling content and journalistic integrity.
- Provide multiple compelling images for each assignment. Provide enough images for galleries for many assignments.
- Provide complete and accurate photo captions
- Be responsible for the planning and timely submission of all assignments; meet deadlines.
- Be able to edit and transmit quickly from remote locations. Use smartphones and other tools when necessary to report on breaking news
- Generate story ideas and daily enterprise.
- Monitor email, slack, news sources and social media to keep abreast of news.
- Treat all company equipment responsibly.
- Communicate effectively with editors and other colleagues across the state. With our wide-ranging staff, collaboration is essential.
- Shoot and efficiently edit video packages.
Once one of the most raucous mining towns in America, Butte is reinventing itself into one of the region's most livable communities. It is a hard-working city that also serves as a tourist destination for people who appreciate history and the wealth of outdoor activities in the surrounding mountains.
The Montana Standard is an equal opportunity employer with a competitive salary and a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and a generous paid time off policy. Salary depends on experience.
Visit our websites at mtstandard.com and 406mtsports.com to see our work.
To apply go to lee.net/careers
Why Join Us?
Lee Enterprises offers competitive wages in a dynamic, interesting work environment with career growth opportunities. We offer an extensive benefit program that can be personalized to your needs. Our benefit program includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, company provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid time off to allow the flexibility to balance personal life and work. This includes paid parental leave for new parents.
Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of high-quality local news, with 77 daily newspapers in 26 states that have print, digital and e-replica versions. Lee's newspapers have a combined circulation of more than 1.2 million daily. Our digital sites attract more than 44 million unique visits monthly. We also have a rapidly growing roster of digital products for consumers, and are committed to aggressive digital growth.
Lee Enterprises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting and retaining a workforce whose diversity reflects the communities we serve. Lee embraces change, and we recognize that we must create and maintain a culture of fervent inclusion. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net .
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply.
This job is no longer available.
Lee Enterprises Inc
Apply for Visual Journalist at Lee Enterprises Inc
All fields are required unless specified optional
By clicking on the submit button, I agree to the
and acknowledge I have read the
and agree to receive email job alerts. The information you provide will be
shared with this employer. You may be contacted from time to time regarding
other opportunities that become available.