Who We Are
District of Columbia International School (DCI) is a public charter school serving over 1600 racially and economically diverse students in grades 6-12 from across the District of Columbia. We aim to provide our students with a world-class education that empowers them to follow their passions and change the world. DCI’s education centers on an International Baccalaureate curriculum, advanced language learning in Chinese, Spanish, and French, and a culture focused on student agency supported by 1:1 technology.
DCI is hiring a full-time Middle School Assistant Principal. To apply, complete the below application and be prepared to upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. You will need to pass a background check. No phone calls, please.
Position Overview: We are looking for highly motivated and skilled education leaders to join our leadership team at DC International School. We seek a MS Assistant Principal who is passionate about urban education, the International Baccalaureate MYP, DP, and CP Programme, restorative justice, social justice, language immersion education, and most importantly, middle and high school students.
Salary Range: Starting salary is determined by education and years of relevant experience.
- A Master's or other advanced degree in Education Leadership or related field.
- Experience in urban education/diverse environments.
- At least 3 years teaching experience, preferably at the secondary level.
- Experience/training in the International Baccalaureate curriculum framework, preferred.
- Experience in language immersion environment: Bilingualism in Spanish strongly preferred; bilingualism in Chinese or French a plus.
- Experience leading and coaching teachers.
- Knowledge of best practices for students who receive special education or ESL services.
- Understanding of the public charter school landscape in DC.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Lead and interact in ways which demonstrate an inclusive approach and sensitivity to the culture of a diverse IB school.
- Model the skills and attitudes of a global citizen.
- Be an advocate every day for every learner and assume accountability for student learning.
- Effectively coach teachers at different stages of development by delivering clear and supportive feedback on instructional practices
- Focus on evidence-based growth and results to drive the school towards annual and long-term goals.
- Engage, listen to, and communicate with school community members effectively to ensure all stakeholders are included in school improvement efforts.
- Build successful interpersonal relationships with all staff, family and community members and students.
- Demonstrate an effective approach to team-building, including clarity of purpose and shared responsibility.
- Value, solicit and integrate different perspectives effectively.
- Articulate short- and long-term goals to address school-wide issues/plans.
- Identify challenges, organize people and resources appropriately to make decisions and action plans.
- Utilize multiple sources of data to inform decision-making.
- Demonstrate self-awareness, ability to articulate own strengths and growth areas.
- Model continuous learning and openness to feedback and improving own performance.
- Other duties as assigned
Faculty and Staff Development/Benefits: DCI is committed to the principles of servant leadership and to providing faculty and staff with the resources and training they need to provide an excellent education experience for every student and family.
- We have a benefits package that includes health and disability insurance and paid leave.
- We offer teachers daily planning time, professional development, and reasonable class sizes.
- Teachers and staff have the appropriate technology and support to do their work.
DC International School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and multilingual environment.