$87,942.40 - $111,467.20 Annually Location
Seattle, WAJob Type
Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/weekDepartment
DES - Executive ServicesJob Number
3/22/2023 11:59 PM Pacific Summary
King County's Office of Risk Management Services is looking for a new Tort Claims Investigator to join our team. This position is responsible for investigating and resolving liability claims filed against King County. SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES -
To be considered for this opportunity, you must at a minimum be able to demonstrate skill and ability to:
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO:
- Evaluate settlement value and negotiate with claimants and/or attorneys to resolve claims with liability exposure and bodily injury and property damages.
- Research, investigate, compile, and document pertinent information related to third party auto, property and liability claims filed against the County.
- Analyze complex claims with regard to negligence, proximate cause, and comparative negligence in compliance with statutes, ordinances, King County codes, and case law.
- Evaluate materials, property damage estimates, and medical records to determine bodily injury and property damage settlements based on an analysis of liability exposure and damages.
- Represent King County in small claims hearings.
- Maintain detailed records of claim investigations, negotiations, and disposition of claims and lawsuits.
- Identify matters to refer for loss control.
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING:
- Have a strong background in tort claims investigations, bodily injury and property claims including demonstrated ability to make decisions based on facts and law; OR any combination of education and experience necessary to perform the scope of job duties.
- Are customer-focused on their approach to working with internal and external clients; Have effective negotiation, problem solving, communication and analytical skills.
- Are collaborative in their approach to their daily work and able to work as a member of a team with many different styles.
- Are comfortable with the use of Office Productivity tools in the daily work (The county uses Microsoft Office)
- Will champion Equity and Social Justice in their daily work.
A background in investigating experience and a working knowledge of Risk Management principals.APPLICATION PROCESS:
This opportunity is open to all applicants
. A King County application is required. We highly suggest that you include a cover letter and resume with your submission.TELECOMMUTING:
The work associated with this position will be mostly remote.
If you have any questions, please contact DES Talent Solutions at DESTalentSolutions@kingcounty.gov. This recruitment is an effort to fill our immediate vacancies as well as create a hire list that will be used for any positions that become vacant within the next 6 months.Supplemental InformationForbes named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North" , we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles - we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.To Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 12paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page .
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.NOTE:
Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.