The BMTU 6 East RN acts as a consultant, facilitator, practitioner, and educator to a variety of patient populations requiring all services of the Tulane Cancer Center. Responsibilities include utilizing the nursing process, the healthcare environment, and current technology to provide a climate which optimizes patient care. The BMTU 6 East RN is responsible for: the delivery and management of patient care; education of the patient, family and coordination of all aspects of care amongst internal and external facilities. The BMTU 6 East RN also advocates on behalf of the patient, communicates with all appropriate team members and with the patient and family where appropriate, and serves as a resource for all clinicians caring for the patient. Performs other duties as assigned.
II. Position Requirements (Minimum qualifications for the position)
III. Primary Job Duties:
1. The BMTU 6 East RN will coordinate the patient care process, assessments, education, admissions, discharges, and follow-up needs across the continuum of care (with both internal and external physician practices).
2. Complies with all TJC, CoC, CAP, ACR and FACT accreditation requirements.
3. Identifies and coordinates need for education of patient, family and/or significant other and provides education through individual instruction, the use of written materials and/or other available resources.
4. Maintains continuous communication with the referring physicians, team physicians, staff members, case managers, and any other necessary personnel. Provides necessary clinical information required for pre-authorization by 3rd party payers and validates that pre-authorization is complete prior to treatment.
5. Assesses human responses and adaptation to actual or potential health problems of the patient, family and/or significant other.
6. Institutes and initiates plans for patient care based on this assessment; implements and continuously evaluates interventions; reassesses patient needs on an on-going basis.
7. Accurately calculates and safely administers medications according to policy and procedure.
8. Coordinates and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members in the planning and management of patient care.
9. Participates in discharge planning; provides instruction to patient/family.
10. Maintains and promotes professional standards and development by participating with in-services, committees, staff meetings (mandatory attendance at all staff meetings is 75%) and performance improvement activities.
11. Promotes/practices cost containment by the judicious use of time, supplies and materials.
12. Applies knowledge of growth and development in patient interactions and treatment.
Tulane Medical CenterNew Orleans, LA